Monday, November 16, 2009

The direct source


As I continue to research why college students wear what they wear, I have realized that the question has changed just a little to why do we buy what we buy and are we forced to follow trends? This weekend I decided to talk with the direct source and visit a store and interview the person who manages the store and has some idea of what clothes are picked to be sold. In the New Brunswick area I noticed that there are not many places to shop for men or women. When in need to find a quick outfit for a party all girls end up in a store best known as Finale. The store is privately owned and the only Finale in the world. Being so it is up to the owner who is a male to purchase the clothes that the girls want to wear. There are three people who have a say in the clothes that are being purchased for the store, two men and one woman who has never been to the store. It his the woman's job to shop for the clothes based on what the owner tells her is in style. When speaking to the manager who assured me that the items purchased for the store are simply what is going to sale. They purchase the clothes from California. I told me that if they notice that something is not selling in the store they will not order it again and sale it for cheap until the item is purchased. If something is in high demand they order tons of them in differnet colors. They use a report system which helps them to decide what is selling and what is not selling. Sometime they purchase unique clothes that can potentially surprise the shopper or to help create new trends. Other times the owner purchases clothes that are similar to what is seen on the stars. The manager told me that they once had a shoe that was similar to one that Beyonce wore and and spider ring similar to what Rhianna wore. The prices are affordable for college students and they try not to purchase items that can be found in stores like H and M and Forever 21.
The above picture is me wearing a shirt that I purchased from the store Finale. I like the shirt because it was fun and unique. I ended buying the shirt after showing it to a friend who I was shopping with and she said"I could never wear something that bright and colorful". Finale does have pieces of clothing that are both unique and fun. Their accessories are extremely different and affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment