Saturday, October 10, 2009

Freshman and the WHY's of Fashion


This week I had the opportunity to interview 5 more students for my project. Approaching people never gets easier however I noticed that some people are just as uncomfortable being interviewed as I am when I have to ask them questions. Interviewing students requires a skill of asking beyond the questions on the page. Thw why's of their choices. I got out of class a little early on Monday which was great because College Avenue was packed with students. I ended up approaching two female students who were sitting together. They decided that they wanted to be interviewed together. I asked them several questions from my list but the one answer that stood out to me was the average price they spend on an outfit compared to the other students that I interviewed so far. Another response that caught my attention was when I asked, Would you borrow clothes from your roomate? Not because they answered no but because one of the girls mentioned that her roomate is not fashionable. This leads me to my next few weeks of study along with interviews I will be reading the history of fashion and forming an answer to the question, What is fashion and what makes someone fashionable?


The students in the picture are freshman at Rutgers University.They each described eachothers look and agreed that the one on the right is Nerd European Chic and on the left Business Funky. They do not shop from ads nor do they shop often, Usually when they shop they purchase alot at a time. They both plan out their outfits the night before but sometimes their outfit might change and their mood changes. Through their clothes they are trying to express Individuality and Fashion.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture! You might want to offer your own comments about these looks - would you agree with your subjects' descriptions of them? Do they correspond to what you understand by (student) fashion? Your comment about the cost of outfits would, of course, carry more weight if you could give a ballpark sense of the figures they gave - but I can see why you might want to hold back from doing this. Perhaps on some later occasion, when it's not so easy to identify individuals with budgets, you might want to comment on fashion and cost.

    ReplyDelete